Sunday, November 4, 2012

Williamsburg, Virginia Day 2





Well, it seems that I am a day behind on this. But as I promised, here are the pictures of the beauty that is surrounding us that we couldn't get the night before......:-) I thought it might be a good idea to sit out on the back porch and drink some coffee before making breakfast and starting out on our adventure for the day.... 



But after opening the door and feeling the wind, I decided that I needed some mittens and would rather stay inside to have my coffee! But it was a nice view....ha



Now, that's better........

 

So here is "me"....getting breakfast ready and trying to find my way around in this kitchen. Now, I know you are saying; "well, its not that big", but when it's not your own, you have to find where everything is!




I think all of us were tired as we just sat around and chatted for most of the day before actually leaving for our adventure.......:-)


In the mean time, I decided to get outside and snap a few pics of the outside of where we would be staying........:-).  Nice- eh?



Winter is almost here!


by the way, breakfast was very light with toast, eggs and cheese and more coffee of course.....:-).  turned out pretty good for someone who is not used to cooking in stainless steel pans......


and then after a couple more hours of lounging, it was time to go! 


being the picture taking folks that we are, we had to jump out several times and get some pics.....


I took two pics of this, but this one is the nicest one.......


I saw this strange fence thingee that I thought was interesting........


I guess Chris did too, although he seemed to know exactly what it was.........hummm.....


We headed for the visitor's center to find out where things were and what they would cost..... Then we found another parking place that would let us stay for two hours and started out on foot toward the main street.......


Once you got there, you knew you had stepped back in time........it didn't seem to me that the people lived hard lives back then.  At least if you were not a slave.....
I guess they had to keep their doors locked unless they wanted strangers always walking through.......Can you imagine......Person A - "Hello"........ Person B-  "Well, hello to you

too.  Who are you and why are you in my living room" !?......hahaha
 
 They tried to keep everything the way it was back then.  Some of the homes were actually occuppied by families.



The farther we went, the more interesting things became......ha.....The last time I was here was many, many moons ago.  I pulled off the highway to find a rest stop and ran into this town when they were doing some of their inactments....I think I was stonned at the time, so you can imagine my confusion when stumbling across people dressed like this.......and of course they stayed in character and looked at me as if I had arrived in a spaceship!  I quickly left! hahaha


There were lots of shops and things that had been restored and this little outdoor market thingee......but a lot of the places you had to pay to get in.  We figured there was enough to see "for free" that we would just do that.......


This church was undergoing a restoration as well........but you had to pay to go inside I believe.......

And my friends were leaving me!  hahaha.....


what a beautiful place - eh?


These folks were on a paid tour and this guy was doing his thing.....I also heard him expressing his concern about the condition of our nation today and how he hoped that things would change for the better soon.......


There was no lack of carriages and tourist......


Lovely.......:-).  ahhhhh.....



We stopped in this store to see what they had........


They had the most unusual things......and peanuts everywhere!


I mean......really?  Peanut soup????.....yuck!!


Christo was checking out the rootbeer soda...........


I was checking out the pickled.......whatever it was.  I believe it said.....watermelon rind....???


Christo changed hats...........ummmmm.....no, Christo.  Not that one....haha


I decided to pose with some pickled....... something else......can't remember what that was.


and here was the store lady......I told her she was going to be famous, so she had to smile for me.....she didn't though, until I told her she looked cute in her costume...haha

 We continued on down the street.....snapping pictures and enjoying for scenery.....



This is the courthouse.....


This is what they call "The Magazine" which contained cannon ball, gun powder and shot for muzzle loading rifles.  I guess if it ever "blew" it had brick around it to help contain it.  Of course you would have to duck any flying bricks!  Wow, we have come a long way....haha


This is the view on the other side of the street.......


and then Chris decided to stop and speak to this lady who told us all about the armoury....

We were starting to get hungry and decided to walk back on the opposite side of the street on our way back to the car......



This was a resturant/pub which menu started at almost $30 bucks an entree'.......WHAT!?...

 uhhhhh, we'll just keep walking and looking..........

 
this was the last thing we saw at the end of the street heading back to our parking space.  We had just completed the two hours that were alloted for parking. 


We decided on Golden Corral for dinner since it was buffet at a reasonable price........:-).  Now of course this was just the beginning.  I tried the steak (which was too salty to eat) and a few other things which were equally too salty to eat before I settled on this and some more veggies.........




after dinner, we headed back to the house and settled in for the evening.......:-).

stay tuned for day 3!

1 comment:

Pastor Chris said...

A wonderful day, a wonderful tour and a wonderful companion. Thanks for being you Baby! Great reportage.