Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Tick Bite!!

I love spring.  Especially after spending so much time on the internet looking at all of the possibilities of starting a new garden.  Unfortunately, even though it is still a bit chilly outside bugs are alive and well and traveling by whatever means they can manage.  Since I don't care to be wet or cold, it is not hard for me to spend several days at home before venturing outside.

 In this particular case, I had not been outside in a week  accept to visit friends who have a dog that spends lots of time outdoors.    It is a mystery (not really) of how it happened that I was bitten by a tick.  But it did in fact happen. How do I know (you may ask) that it was a tick?  We pulled it off of me and stared at it for quite some time in disbelief!  After several days of of trying to attend to it myself with antibiotic creams, enduring pain, swelling and eventual infection, Scootard put his foot down and took me to the hospital. At least it was a fairly decent day out.

After doing the initial interview with the nursing staff, it was made clear that this was a "rare" event for the hospital although they had seen this happen from time to time.    I had to ask myself with all of the outdoor sports that go on here all year round, how in the world could this be "rare"???  Everybody and their brother has dogs and cats!  I know, I fight to keep them out of my garden...ha

So, we sat.  And sat.  And sat.  Eventually, a student came in and asked to see my "mystery".  What!  Where's the REAL doctor??  ha  Sheesh....I mean I might have Lime Disease here people!

Meanwhile, Scootard was busy texting our friends in the US about our current adventure and giving them updates.....

I decided to kill some time since I was a little tired of listening to the drunk guy next to me who had "somehow" broken his foot when he kicked a wall, a cop or something else.  I watched the events unfold in Boston at the marathon.  What a shocker that one was....:-(

Ok, so now the REAL doctor comes in, takes a look, asked me more question about my symptoms and says.....ohhhh, I want to take some x-rays to make sure everything is alright.  She was concerned that the infection may have gone to my bone.  So off we went!

 And of course the parking meter was about to run out since we had spent all of our time "waiting" to be seen...:-(.  But when Scootard went back to refill the meter, it was broken!  UGH!!  and the meter person was on the hunt for those who had not paid.  After showing her that it was in fact broken, she initialed it told Scootard  put the same ticket in the windshield so that she can see it when she goes by.  She extended us for another hour without charge....Yay!

The x-rays came back and all was well although there was a nasty infection going on.  It has not entered my bone.  However, the doctor still was not sure if it was Lime Disease or not and decided to treat me for the infection as well as Lime Disease.  Otherwise, I was good to go!  The doctor did a great job and agreed to pose for this shot for me....:-).  She looked so young that Chris asked her if her parents knew she was playing doctor....ha

It was time to blow this joint and go and grab a bite to eat. Thank God,  I had successfully escaped a near death experience! haha

 Now, we're talkin.....:-)

We had never been to this place before, but we were both starving after 4 hours at the hospital with little to eat before we left.

Scootard got this salad thingee.....

and whatever else that was....ha.  No idea.

I ordered spinach and ricotta ravioli....:-)

After lunch we picked up my meds that the doctor prescribed for me.  It was going to be a 14 day regimen which I already knew was going to have "unpleasant" side affects.....:-(.  But better safe than sorry later, right?

So, we started our trip back home.  Glad to be "ok" and thankful that it had not gotten any worse.  The antibiotics that I had been using kept things from getting really bad, but just weren't quite strong enough.  Now, I had the real deal and hopefully, things will get better sooner than later.

It was a pleasant drive home.  I'm grateful to my husband who insisted that I go to the hospital for taking me even though I didn't want to go....:-).


Scootard said...

I am so glad I put my foot down. Now you are on the mend instead of contemplating amputation! I mean "ain't nobody got time for that!"
By the way those were perogies, and they were delicious.

bob skoot said...


Ravioli, ricotta, Perogies, Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Where do you find these places ? Lucky that Chris knows better . . . and insisted on visiting the Hospital.

I think he secretly wanted to drug you up

Riding the Wet Coast

Patricia Carpenter said...


You are hilarious! But you are probably right....haha

Martha Tenney said...

I'm so glad you went to the clinic. That could have been very, very nasty indeed. Don't underestimate ticks!

Glad you are going to be OK. So now you can really enjoy that food!

Patricia Carpenter said...

Hi Martha,

yeah, I was kinda glad he made me go. The pain was keeping me from sleeping and a red ring was around it and a larger one around that one! Sheesh...glad everything is still in tact..haha

John Evans said...

Next time, I suggest bringing some reading material. Something like the National Enquirer, to lighten the mood. . . . Great pics of the apres-ER food, and even greater pic of that B.C. landscape!

Trobairitz said...

That is what hubby's are for, saving us from ourselves.

Scary to think it got infected, but I am glad you are on the mend.

I remember living in Princeton as a kid and mom would check us all for ticks after camping. My step-dad ended up with one in the upper back and I remember my mom burning it with a hot needle and pulling it out. Somehow, I don't think that was the right thing to do.

Patricia Carpenter said...

Hi John,

You know nowadays, you can read the news, national enquirer or anything else on your smart phone! gotta love that....:-).

Patricia Carpenter said...

Yeah, I always had dogs and cats growing up and was always pulling ticks off of them as well. I used to burn them too, but I think your're right. That's wrong! ha. Chris gave it one big yank and it didn't come out at first. Which was followed by a piercing pain, the nasty thing hung on for dear life and then the final yank and it came out. We wanted to make sure we got it all. Not sure we did, thus the infection. oh well. On the mend now, thank God!

Dar said...

Never mess around with tick bites! Glad you are feeling better and went to the doc!

Patricia Carpenter said...

Hi Dar,
yeah, I should have known better than to do that. Seemed to work when I was much younger though! ha. I won't do that again and hopefully, will never get another tick bite!

bob skoot said...


You never mentioned where this TICK bite was ? Now you've got me curious . . .

Riding the Wet Coast

Patricia Carpenter said...

Hey Bob,

hahaha.... your're right! I didn't and I'll bet you are! hahaha

Dar said...


How are you doing?

Patricia Carpenter said...

Hi Dar,

I'm doing much better in regard to the tick bite. I think. I was just telling Chris that I have been getting dizzy lately and feeling nauseated for no apparent reason with headaches. The bite itself is healed over, but overall something feels a bit "off". Plus, there is the"issue" that I always have to deal with after taking antibiotics...:-(. So, I'm dealing with that too. Who needs a "new" infection....:-(.