Sunday, August 5, 2012

Day 10 - The Final Drive Home

We got up early this morning, 6:00am threw the sheets and towels in the washer and dryer, said our good byes and hit the road!  We wanted to get a good head start before it started cooking outside.  I have found that I do not tolerate heat that well since living in Canada for the past 4 years now. 

 These are Naramatta Road in Penticton...

We traveled on until we got to Yellow Lake between Penticton and Keremeos.....I happen to see this Blue Herren bird sitting on the dock.

  We stared at each other for a few minutes and then I proceeded over to the restrooms; which happened to be CLOSED!  WHAT!??

We continued until we got to Hope, BC where the famous (if I can use that word) Hope Slide took place killing several people.  Some of which are still intombed in the rubble after 40 years.....:-(.  Very sad story that moves me everytime we pass through the area.   The pictures do not do it justice as the whole side of the mountain slide down and pushed its way clear to the other side of the highway.  As a matter of fact where the slide is now there is no more highway.  The one we travelded on had to be built on top of the slide to give travelers access to the neighboring towns... You cannot really see the write up on it from this picture, but I'm sure you can google it and get the information if you want to know more about it.  It's very sobering....   







I decided to use the rest room while we were there since the last one was out of order.

Then we travel on toward home finally arriving at about 2:00pm.  Tired but ready to plan the next trip!




Thanks for coming along!



10 comments:

Dar said...

Good trip! Looks like you enjoyed your time away with your hubby. The Hope slide always makes me sad when we pass through there. Hope your next trip is soon!

Anonymous said...

The only bad mistake is the one you don't learn from. You're doing fine! Hang in there! A couple of scratches won't hurt the scooter. They just add character. :-) Google can lead you to articles about buffing out scratches, like this one, just as an example...http://www.corvetteforum.com/articles/parts-and-accessories/exterior/how-to-repair-a-scratch-on-your-corvette.php. Vettes are fiberglass, and those particular products may not be perfect for what you need, but you get the idea. Deb

Tripping Sister! said...

Hi Dar!
yeah, the pictures I took really do the slide no justice. That thing is enormous....I can't imagine being buried live like that.....:-(. Very sad.

Our next trip is to Oklahoma next month. But we do have time contraints as to when we have to be there. So, we will be taking the scooters by trailer, but trying to camp along the way to save money. I think high season will be over by the time we leave at the end of the month and hopefully, we will be able to find some good camping spots with water and electricity!

Tripping Sister! said...

Thanks Deb....

I'm still so sore! Good heavens....ha. But I can move a little faster than I could the day after! Thanks for the links about scratch cover. Someone else said they went to Walmart- bought all of the Wet and Wild nail polishes that seemed close in color to their bike and took back the ones that didn't match unopened...ha. I thought "now, there's a cheap way to go"! Don't know if I can find "silver" nail polish?? Since I don't use it, I'm a little uneducated in that department...haha. I will check out that link, though! Thanks for sending that...:-)

Trobairitz said...

I am glad you had such a great trip with hubby. Road trips can be so much fun especially with hubbys.

The Hope slide is amazing in it's magnitude. I can't imagine what it would have been like to see it occur. Did you know that Yellow Lake was rumored to be bottomless? I grew up in Keremeos and local legend says there are even semis and big equipment that have gone off the road and into the lake never to be found again. Almost like the bottom is quicksand. Eerie.

Hope you feel better soon and the soreness is gone.

Unknown said...

Scooterchick:

We rode past the Hope slide area on Saturday on our Merritt Loop, but didn't stop this time. Hard to imagine that half the mountain came down and the road used to be on the other side of the lake.

If you want to see sombre, go and see the FRANK SLIDE near Kicking Horse Pass. We passed through there and they left the big boulders where they rolled. It is eerie looking at all those boulders which were never cleaned up. The whole area is a monument to the people that died in their sleep when the boulders came down and crushed the houses with the people still inside

bob
Riding the Wet Coast
My Flickr // My YouTube

Tripping Sister! said...

Trobairitz,

No, I didn't know that! wow.. that is wild. sounds like the Bermuda triangle or something weird like that. You grew up in Keremeous? Chris said we went on the by-pass. Now, according to Sharphooks.com Yellow Lake is 40 meters deep...or about 135 feet deep... who knows?? ha. I ain't going in to find out; that's for sure! haha

Tripping Sister! said...

Wow, what a way to go-eh? Very sad indeed. I'll google the information. It's amazing how this kind of thing seems to happen so frequently lately.

The earth is "growning".....

John Evans said...

I believe I went through Hope on the way to Harrison Lake. The landscape was spectacular everywhere.

I especially remember the Kettle Valley Railway Trail, a path through abandoned tunnels with a dashing mountain river below.

A MINOR earthquake triggered that slide? We live at the pleasure of geology.

Tripping Sister! said...

yeah, I would hate to see what would happen if the mother of all earthquakes hit that area....

I guess that is one of the things you deal with when you live around mountainess areas like what is in BC and other places like it.