Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Long Road Home- Day 1

After spending an enormous amount of time trying to get ready to leave, we still left 2 hours later than expected.  But we had managed to get the car serviced, all (or most) of the garden plants and furniture tended to and family and friends kissed goodbye for now....:-(.

We pulled off the after a little bit of travel to take this picture since I forgot to take pics of us loading everything.  After all, it was still dark when we started loading.  Ms Vickey and Maj were a bit of a challenge to load this time for some reason.  But we got it done with the help of two others.

It wasn't long at all before we were in Texas AGAIN since we had to go that way to get back.

You may have remembered this little town from an earlier post this year.  Or was that last year??

The town is small but the city hall was huge.  Or maybe it was the courthouse.  Not sure........But I liked the sign they put in the front.

Here is a close up.  Don't mess with Texas!!  haha

We used to have a store by this name many years ago in Lawton.  I wondered if it was owned by the same people who had the other store.  But we didn't go in.

It was time to leave Memphis and continue our trip.  We stopped for gas a few times and I decided to try this spicy mango stuff that I saw in the store.

hahahah......He's not too fond of it.....

Well, it was a bit spicy along with some sweetness and a touch of salt.  AND IT WAS SOUR!   That was the part that got me....haha.  It has chili powder and chili flakes on it as well.......smokin!

We had to make quite a few "potty stops" for reason.  But since we have just under a month to get back, we were not really in a hurry.  I took a picture of this field of cotton as we traveled along. 

Then we noticed that "Maj" was leaning toward Ms Vickey and looking like she was going to fall over, so we had to stop again to fix that.

Not long after we came to Dumas, Texas and made a quick trip inside the Welcome Center.

It was tiny, but at least it was there for those traveling through to stop and stretch their legs and ask questions if need be.

They had this placard outside giving a bit of history of the area........

Here's my man looking man.........:-).....hey, hey, hey......

We thought we would say howdy to ya'll before we got back in the car........:-)  "HOWDY!" 

And Finally after 8 1/2 hours of traveling, we reached our destination for the evening.....  

They were capturing the wind to use for electricity....  or something like that.  I often what it would be like to ride one of those things.......hahahahaha.  With a helmet of course......:-).

After looking at the choices we had for hotels, we settled on the Days Inn and settled in for the night.  

Goodnight and stay tuned!


Scootard said...

Didn't make it as far as we thought but we're still rolling on!!! and lovin'it.

bob skoot said...


at least the "Maj" was leaning the right way, and not the other. Perhaps he wanted affection from "Ms Vickey"

sour, sweet Mango. No thank you, nothing spicy for me or I would need more than a washroom

I don't see your smoker. I was hoping for a smoked meal when you got home.

Riding the Wet Coast

Patricia Carpenter said...

Yeah, I wasn't too keen on the mango stuff either! ha. The smoker is in she'd in Lawton. No since in bringing it back to Canada since we live in a condo.

Trobairitz said...

I bet it was bittersweet leaving for BC Sad to see Oklahoma in the rear view window but excited to be heading 'home'.

Patricia Carpenter said...

Yeah, I did have mixed feeling about leaving. Especially with all of the plantings we did before we left for Spring. But we won't be there to see it all come up. Or what doesn't come up for that matter...